Saturday, April 16, 2011

Roger Gets Antsy

Onward, to the future!
5 Months Post-Transplant

I’m no longer just clinging to life.  The days of drama have ended. 

It occurred to me that I haven’t contributed to the blog for some time. I thought I might offer an update on things, medical and otherwise. Back at home in Missoula, I’ve settled into a routine that includes twice-weekly medical appointments. On Mondays I have blood drawn and shipped to the Mayo Clinic in the mid-west for testing.  On Fridays I meet with Dr. Beatty and we review the blood tests and other lab results.  We entertain one another with light banter about things like just when I can begin to venture out into the world.

In addition to swallowing a mouthful of pills twice a day, I self-administer antibiotics and magnesium in a saline solution in two separate IV preparations, a process that eats up about two hours a day.

I’m in good hands.  Leukemia is Dr. Beatty's specialty.  He helped create the transplant center in Salt Lake City and he has considerable experience with post-transplant patients.  According to him, everything is progressing nicely; he likes what he sees.  My take is a bit different.  I am impatient to get back to work and to be able to socialize and travel. I want hair! I’m weary of waking each morning only to be greeted by the reflection of a stranger in my mirror. It appears to be a holocaust survivor, and to make matters worse, an old one.

Last night marked the end of the beginning. Candi and I attended a small get together at a friend's home. We talked, we laughed, we drank wine.  I had to keep my hands in my pockets as a reminder to avoid shaking hands with people, but for a first excursion out into the world, it was not bad at all.

--Roger

2 comments:

  1. Nope, the mirror is all wrong. You are the same Roger and the handsome tower of strength you've been through this entire ordeal. The best is just beginning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I'm super glad to read this post! Continuing to send prayers for full recovery and remission, but will now include a special request of the Creator: more hair for you and a hands-free from their pockets social experience ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Roger if you would care to.