Thursday, September 22, 2011

Good News at Last

Happy Birthday Candi!

Good news at last.

It’s been a while since we could post good news. I’m pleased to report that the results of my most recent bone marrow biopsy showed no leukemia cells. This was the second round of chemo.  The first didn't have the desired effect, and we were getting nervous.  

I’ve been receiving medical support for the past two weeks including regular infusions of platelets, red blood and neupogen shots. I still have a way to go before they'll say I'm in remission. We need to see the production of more healthy blood cells. But this positive development means we can begin to look toward the future and other treatments. 

The transplant team in Salt Lake has requested we come down next week. Among other things, they are going to biopsy a rash that has developed on my face. If it is evidence of graph vs host disease then perhaps the infusion of Robert’s T-cells will be a viable procedure after all. We might in fact be back on track with the original transplant. This sounds like wishful thinking.  It is certainly hopeful thinking.  By the end of next week we should know more. 

Charge up the iPod and load up an audio book.  We're going on a road trip.

--Roger

7 comments:

  1. Whew! Been holding our breath waiting for good news and this certainly qualifies. Lisa and I will be on East 8 Friday, Sept 30th. If fate will have it perhaps we will again cross paths.

    You both are in our thoughts and prayers often. Congrats! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANDI.

    Sort of bet this is the kind of thing you wished for.

    Best Wishes, the McAteers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read good news! You keep up the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee!! Sharon & Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good things DO come to those who wait, and wait, and wait ; )

    Way to fight Roger!!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled to hear your good news. I will be praying for you.

    Kacie Laslovich

    ReplyDelete
  6. PIcture me doing a double thumbs-up! Good karma coming' back at you!

    Oh crud. I can't seem to post with my account-this is Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Roger if you would care to.