Thursday, November 18, 2010

What Makes Life Less Lonely?

Keeping busy. Having work to do that makes a difference to someone.  Staying connected.  Yesterday I moved our belongings from the claustrophobic hotel room into an apartment.  It has 4 rooms and an actual kitchen. When Roger is released from the hospital, we’ll be able to breathe, cook, work and live here as long as we have to. I drove myself back and forth across Salt Lake City several times and only got lost once.  It’s a small achievement but it feels like a triumph.

Roger kept busy too.  He’s on chemo now and the hospital routine is remarkably busy.  When he does get a few minutes to himself, he dons his mask, gown, and gloves (required every time he leaves the room) and “runs laps” in the corridors.  He works out with five pound dumbbells and eats as much as he possibly can.  His job for this week is to stay strong in preparation for the transplant.  He takes it very seriously.

Being in a new place, I don’t have a TV, radio, or an internet connection yet.  I didn't have anything to do last night but put things in order, sanitize surfaces and meditate on loneliness. I wondered what would keep me from going crazy in this place by myself.  Answer:  the work I’m doing here makes a difference.  I have things I need to do, places I need to be and problems to solve.  How can I not be serious about my job when Roger is so serious about his?

It’s been a good day’s work all around.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about you guys every day! This blog is great for staying up-to-date. And I think this is the first time I've ever posted a comment on a blog. (I even had to create a Google account to do so.) Gosh, there's hope for me yet in terms of joining the 21st century! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare. It's nice to have you along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Roger if you would care to.