Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day Seventy

I see we have incorporated a Gratitude Journal into the blog. Nice idea. It reminds me to publicly thank Candi for all she has done for me. From the very beginning, she has been an extraordinary partner. She stood shoulder to shoulder with me. Her courage has inspired me to face terror without blinking. She works harder than a Bolivian coal miner and her caustic humor never lets me indulge in self-pity for long.

Candi and Sophie taking a break from a do-it-yourself project, 2009
When we first started talking about the transplant I had no idea she would be able to take extended medical leave from the University of Montana. I began to heroically imagine going through the process in Salt Lake City alone with Candi visiting from Missoula only on an irregular basis. Silly me. I see now there is no way a person could go through this alone. There is just too much to do. There were times when I was virtually an invalid, times when I was frail and could hardly remember my own name. My wife was always there looking out for me. I don’t know how to thank someone for saving my life. I can only start by saying thank you Candi.

--Roger

2 comments:

  1. You two are going to make me cry! I agree, Roger ~ Candi is a remarkable woman! But although I haven't gotten to know you as well, I knew you would have to be pretty special yourself to be with someone such as our Candi.

    I think a Gratitude journal is a wonderful idea. When my son and I were miserable, alone and scared wishing we could escape Tampa, we did something similar. Everyday we would tell one another one thing that made us happy or that we were grateful for. It helped us get through each day until we could get back to Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, you made me tear up reading that. You are one of the strongest men I know. We are so happy you are feeling better and are gaining a little bit of weight back. It is good to "see" you on the computer blogging. That is awesome!! Mom would not want to be any other place than by your side!

    We love you!!
    Casey, Denise, Kylee and Connor

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Roger if you would care to.