Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 85 Clinic Report


February 17 - Salt Lake City has plunged back into winter
Candi and I just returned from the hospital. Today was my weekly, 2 hour checkup where they draw blood, monitor my blood pressure and temperature, oxygen levels and of course weight. They adjust my drug levels, inquire about symptoms and berate me for not drinking enough water. Today’s report was good, nothing out of the ordinary. The Physicians Assistant was new to us. His name is Steve and he is from Helena, Montana, so we got to talk about home. The bulk of the conversation however again centered on potential threats to my health. I’ve got to continue using the mask, particularly when the wind is blowing or when I’m in a crowd. He told a few frightening stories about how fast and devastating an infection can be for someone with a suppressed immune system. He emphasized the necessity of avoiding exposure to the sun and described how rashes and changes in skin tone can be early indicators of graph versus host disease, and that a sunburn can also trigger the disease. I think they are trying to prepare us for the long term nature of this recovery. I will likely be on some drugs for more than a year. I’m just beginning to get it.  Candi did a quick calculation and told me I wouldn't be doing any gardening until 2012.  It will be quite awhile yet before life returns to normal.  
--Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for Roger if you would care to.