Thursday, February 24, 2011

Now We Wait

Roger survived a full day of being weighed and measured, poked and prodded, drilled, punched and pinched. He had paper put into his eye sockets to see how much moisture was in there.  (I know, right?!?)  He breathed into tubes and got whacked with a hammer.  They took so much blood, I wondered if it didn't defeat the purpose.   

This day was about evaluating whether or not any Graft Versus Host Disease is occurring (perhaps, but if so, it's slight), whether or not there are any remaining leukemia cells (too soon to tell), what percent of the cells inside his bone marrow are his and what percent are his brother/donor's (no results yet, but we learned a new vocabulary word: chimera*) and the day was largely about teaching us what to do and what symptoms to watch for when we go home.  Once we're outside the 10-minute-to-the-transplant-center perimeter, we'll have to be more aware and more self-sufficient. I want to you to know I've got permission to pinch Roger.  No, in fact, I've been instructed to pinch him.  This is my big chance, probably my only chance, and I intend to take full advantage.

And, we have some homework.  Roger has lost a couple more pounds and so this week, we will redouble our efforts to get him to eat, eat, eat.

Test results won't be in until next week.  So now we wait.
--Candi

*Chimera: two or more different populations of genetically distinct cells.

6 comments:

  1. I actually know the word chimera . . . it's a beast--at least in theory/literature. Hey, Candi, that's TWO new words we've learned this week ;)

    Well, as long as there is no Host Versus Graft Disease, I'll rest comfortable :)

    And I'm in a punchy mood tonight! Luva ya, both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right. In mythology, a chimera is a composite of two or animals in one. It often shows up as a lion/goat/serpent. Let's hope Roger doesn't develop any of those qualities, but only good, strong bone marrow with his brother's DNA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I was thinking the same thing when I saw chimera. Funny and interesting where our language comes from, isn't it?

    Anyway, sending more positivity toward you-daily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I know your blog is filled with serious stuff, but I seriously laughed out loud (LOL according to my 18 year old daughter) I have a crystal clear vision of what they did to Roger and you have to laugh at the intensity of it all. Still wishing you serious success in the process and thanks for the levity. I needed it. Lisa arrived home safely and what a joy. A celebration is in order and a good Chardonnay is the best way to start. I toast you both.

    M.M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinching is allowed, even encouraged? Sending you many smiles, love you Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty certain that you did not need permission to pinch Roger. In fact, I am pretty certain that the only reason you needed permission at all was to legitimize the past episodes in which you have pinched, prodded and provoked this man in to making better choices. I am pretty sure that I speak for all of your friends when I say that we are grateful for your due diligence in insuring that Roger is taking care of himself.

    Sophie sends her love...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for Roger if you would care to.